Friday, October 16, 2009

Audrey's Hand

These pictures were taken September 21st. Audrey's accident was August 19th and her surgery was August 24th so these pictures are about a month post-op. We had an appointment with her Physical Therapist this day to get something called "cica-care" which is some sort of scar management treatment that we are to put on her hand every night. I had no idea what cica-care was, I sort of thought it would be some sort of cream - wrong! So here is my best description, it reminds me of those slimy sticky hand things that kids can get out of gum ball machines. They stick to walls and stuff - you know what I mean?!?! So anyway the Therapist cuts three custom pieces of this stuff for the top of her hand, a long skinny strip for her pinkie and a little square for her ring finger. Then she explains that this lovely product is super expensive (we're talking $800 a sheet - she probably gave us the equivalent of 1/3 of a sheet) so do not lose it! By the way it is clear and super super sticky and little!! She also told us to go home and take a picture of Audrey's hand and then compare the picture to her hand in two months and we would be amazed at the improvement! I'll update that part of the story later, hopefully it will live up to the hype!


OK so here is a funny little story regarding this pricey cica-care! So when Larren gets home form work that night I explain the whole cica-care information and especially that this stuff is pretty much worth it's weight in gold, so we have to guard it with our lives. So that night we put on the cica-care, wrap her hand, put her brace on - and off to bed she went. The next morning when she wakes up only two of the three pieces were still on her hand - uh oh panic attack! I search Audrey and her nightgown nothing. So I put her up to breakfast and Larren and I proceed to pick apart her bed bit by bit searching for this little clear piece of priceless cica-care. I am thinking "did we seriously lose this stuff after only one night!?" I couldn't believe it. So we're having no luck so now we are on our hands and knees searching her bedroom, seriously needle in a haystack. After what seems like forever, Audrey yells from the kitchen "I found it! It's in my hair!" Are you kidding me!?!

So after that fun-filled experience, we decided we'd rather not repeat it and the next night after putting on the cica-care we put a glove on her hand so that if it fell off in her sleep then we would be able to find it! This little hand of hers has been a never-ending adventure!

So here is her hand on September 21st. You can see the white area which going up her wrist was also burned, but did not require grafts. The graft area is on her ring finger and all the way down her pinkie and obviously that huge center section. The skin was taken from her thigh and that area is coming along as well in the healing process.
Here is a better picture of the pinkie and ring finger part of the graft.

This is the top of her left arm near her elbow that was also burned but not severely enough to require a graft. This section has healed so well we are really amazed!

5 comments:

Jodi said...

It looks beautiful!!!! I can't believe it looks so good after 1 month! Good job for taking such good care of it. I know stuff like that is so hard to stay on top of. When Anna had the t.v. fall on her toe it felt like forever to get her better. But she is doing fine now...we still have to watch how her nail goes but other than that she is great! Glad to see she is doing better! Love ya!

Dave and Emily said...

I am so happy for how well her hand is healing! I know thats a prayer answered. She is so cute with her glove!

Nettie! said...

So glad to know everything is healing nicely!

Kendria said...

So glad that things are going well with Audrey's recovery (minus the panic attack about the pricey sticky stuff! :0)

Rena said...

I'm glad to finally get to see Audrey's hand. It's great that everything is healing up so well. You'll have to put more pictures on later.