Friday, January 8, 2010

Cookies for Santa

We had a wonderful Christmas Eve this year, Larren took the whole day off which hasn't happened before, sometimes he'll leave early but never the whole day, it was really nice. We got up and had a yummy breakfast I made this pull apart coffee cake type thing, it was really delicious. Then we all got ready and went to the Museum of Idaho to look at the display of nativities, gingerbread houses, and the Santas, Emily and Ronie came with us and it was a really fun way to spend Christmas Eve morning.

When we got home the girls wanted to bake cookies for Santa. It is a known fact I am not a baker, try as I might I fail every single time! But for some unknown reason every once and a while I decide to give it another go and then I quickly remember why I gave it up int he first place and I'll avoid baking for the next several months until my memory lapses again. Actually, this attempt didn't turn out too terrible, but it is still not my cup of tea! We decided to make Christmas trees and then cut circles out of the trees and fill them with red circles so when they baked it would look like Christmas trees with red ornaments, it worked in theory! Actually, they turned out OK not amazing but OK, better than some attempts we have made and I was glad we didn't have to frost them! Despite the lack of talent it was a fun project to do with the kids and really isn't that the whole point anyway!?! So for their sake I'll keep on trying once and awhile - who knows maybe someday I'll be able to bake!

Savannah and Audrey rolling out the dough.

Grace with her Christmas apron standing on a chair all ready to bake!

Audrey cutting out the trees. She did a really great job of cutting out the cookies. She was all business!

Savannah's job was to get out the green circles and replace them with the red ones. It was kind of tricky, but she got them all switched around, we had a good system going with all the girls, and then once we got our cookies baked we just waited for everyone to arrive for Christmas Eve dinner. It was a really really fun day, hopefully Larren will take it off again next year . . . hint hint!!

No comments: